Nowadays, critical thinking is known as a catchword in the sphere of education. Earlier, the stress in classrooms has been put on partitioning content together with information – for instance, the time tables. Recent years have witnessed a considerable shift towards teaching skills of critical thinking – those skills that are able to turn thinking into the process of logic and analysis.
In other words, critical thinking is considered as knowledge how to think successfully, not what you have to think. As usual, instructors apply a number of methods to assist students in learning critical reasoning, starting in preschools and increasing specifically during the second grade and further. Mentioned below are several methods teachers tend to apply; it is possible to try to apply them in private in order to help your children turn into critical thinkers.
How Does Critical Thinking Help Students?
- Critical reasoning: Try to ask unconstrained questions. The process of asking those questions that do not possess only one correct answer motivates children to look for creative responds, not being afraid to give an incorrect answer.
- Critical reasoning: Classification and categorization. Categorization cuts a conspicuous figure in critical thinking process because it demands sorting and identification procedures according to the set of rules or only one rule, which should be discovered, applied, and understood by kids. In the event you want to play games of classification at home, make sure to proceed with the questions regarding the similar and different features of the groups. It is possible to sort absolutely everything from dirty laundry to toys in order to encourage critical thinking assignment Do not forget that it is very important to stimulate the development of such skills in your children because they will need to apply them nearly in every real-life situations in their adulthood life as well as when accomplishing various assignments at school and home.
- Critical reasoning: Team work during the classes. In the given environment, students are affected by thought processes of other students. For this reason, they may start understanding how other people think and that there exist a lot of ways to approach issues, but not only one right method.
- Critical reasoning: Take some decisions. Assist your son or daughter in considering advantages and disadvantages, but do not hesitate to let him or her take a wrong decision. After that, estimate this decision a bit later. Get hit your child with the following question, “Just what can you say regarding your decision? What will you do the next time for sure?”
As there are several types of critical thinking, make sure that your children are familiar at least with some of them. Familiarizing themselves not only with one type will help students to develop their skills of reasoning in the most efficient way.
- Critical reasoning: Try to find a number of various patterns. Anything you are going to do, should it be visiting the playground or viewing films, encourage your son or daughter to find some patterns or connect things for practice of critical thinking. For instance, link a popular TV show with a situation from real life. Or perhaps, when driving in the car, ask your child to determine various forms in roadway signs as well as in roofs and windows of moving houses.
It may turn out to be very tempting to get rid of critical thinking buzz as some other flight of fancy in educational sphere. Nonetheless, many teachers do not agree with this point. It is very significant for your children to learn about multiplication tables, but at the same time, it is also significant for him or her to when and in which way to apply critical thinking in science.